BPI is the first portuguese bank to access the "InnovFin MidCap Guarantee" by signing a guarantee agreement with the European Investment Bank (EIB) for mid-cap companies, i.e., non-SMEs, that employ up to 3,000 people (mid-caps and Small mid-caps).
EIB provides BPI a guarantee to cover 50% of the credit risk from a â¬ 100-million portfolio of new loans for innovation and R&D projects to be implemented by Portuguese companies.
This guarantee is supported by the InnovFin MidCap Guarantee financial instrument under Horizon 2020, the European Union's research and innovation programme.
Based on this agreement, BPI created the BPI/BEI Inovação Mid-cap Line with the aim of facilitating access to financing for these innovative companies.
- Access to financing specifically tailored to the needs of investment support and working capital;
- Aimed at innovative companies with up to 3.000 employees;
- Amounts extended up to â¬ 50 million;
- Access to a structured credit line with an EIB guarantee;
- Without use of de minimis aid;
- Competitive terms.
Mid-Cap undertakings with up to 3.000 employees and Small Mid-Cap undertakings with up to 500 employees, calculated based on the number of "group" employees in accordance with the provisions of Articles 3 to 6 of Title I of the Annex to Commission Recommendation 2003/361/EC that:
- Are resident and operating in Portugal;
- Do not meet conditions to be considered as undertakings in difficulty, as defined in Commission Regulation No C(2014) 3292/3 of 21 May 2014;
- Have no outstanding obligations to the Tax Administration and Social Security and no unjustified incidents or defaults with any bank;
- Do not belong to excluded sectors (e.g., financial sector, real estate, weapons, gambling, tobacco, cloning, etc.).
- Meet one of the EIB's innovation criteria for this line: having received an innovation award, having registered a patent; having received subsidies in programmes to support R&D and/or Innovation (Portugal 2020 / PDR 2020 - Rural Development Programme / Horizonte 2020); having its head office in a science and technology park; having benefited from credit under Tax Incentives for Company Investments in R&D (SIFIDE); being a fast-growing enterprise, among others.
- New financing operations for:
- investment in tangible and/or intangible assets1;
- working capital.
- Under the short- and long-term loan type;
- The operations must directly support the financing of Total Eligible Costs.
1 The acquisition of eligible intangible assets may not exceed 10% of the Total Eligible Costs.
Minimum per operation:
- Small Mid-caps: â¬ 7.5 million;
- Mid-caps: â¬ 1 million.
Maximum per operation: â¬ 50 million.
- Minimum: 2 years (including);
- Maximum: 10 years.
- On-demand guarantee provided by the EIB on 50% of financing;
- Potentially, other guarantees required by BPI.
De Minimis Aid
This line does not contribute to the consumption of de minimis aid.
For more information, please go to any BPI Branch or Corporate Centre or contact us.
This information is provided for advertising purposes and does not constitute a contractual offer; you must read the pre-contractual and contractual information required by law.
Contracting subject to prior approval by the entities involved and subject to the conditions defined according to the risk profile of each operation.
Banco BPI, S.A., Rua Tenente Valadim, 284, Porto, Tied Insurance Intermediary no. 207232431 (registered with the Insurance and Pension Funds Supervision Authority on 31-10-2017 - more details on the registration available at www.asf.com.pt); authorised to carry on insurance business in the Life and Non-Life Branches with the insurers BPI Vida e Pensões - Companhia de Seguros Vida, S.A., Companhia de Seguros Allianz Portugal, S.A. and COSEC - Companhia de Seguro de Créditos, S.A. Banco BPI, S.A. is not authorised to receive premiums or enter into contracts on behalf of COSEC, Allianz or BPI Vida e Pensões and, as an insurance intermediary, assumes no responsibility for the coverage of risks inherent in the insurance contract.