Documentary Credit constitutes an irrevocable commitment on the part of the issuing bank, by means of the instructions of the originator (importer), through which the bank is obliged to accept and/or pay to the beneficiary (exporter) a certain amount (value of the merchandise or service) against the submission of the documents required therein and compliance with all other terms and conditions.
As a method of payment, the Documentary Credit seeks to reconcile opposing interests of the parties to the commercial contract, i.e., to assure the exporter the receipt of the value of the merchandise sold or service rendered and to allow the importer to make sure that the payment made corresponds to the merchandise or service purchased.
In the operations related to Import Documentary Credit, Banco BPI acts as an issuing bank.
- Greater security in transactions even when there is no commercial experience between the parties.
- The importer has the guarantee that the Bank's commitment to the payment of the merchandise and/or service will only materialize if the instructions/conditions contained in the letter of credit are strictly complied with by the exporter, which mitigates in particular the risks of production and fraud.
- It allows the importer to negotiate better terms of payment with the exporter, namely the deferral of payment terms.
- Consumer and intermediate goods (short-term): up to 1 year;
- Equipment goods and services (medium and long-term): can be extended.
For more information, please go to any BPI Branch or Corporate Centre or contact us.
This information is provided for advertising purposes and does not constitute a contractual offer; you must read the pre-contractual and contractual information required by law.
Contracting subject to prior approval by the entities involved and subject to the conditions defined according to the risk profile of each operation.
Banco BPI, S.A., Rua Tenente Valadim, 284, Porto, Tied Insurance Intermediary no. 207232431 (registered with the Insurance and Pension Funds Supervision Authority on 31-10-2017 - more details on the registration available at www.asf.com.pt); authorised to carry on insurance business in the Life and Non-Life Branches with the insurers BPI Vida e Pensões - Companhia de Seguros Vida, S.A., Companhia de Seguros Allianz Portugal, S.A. and COSEC - Companhia de Seguro de Créditos, S.A. Banco BPI, S.A. is not authorised to receive premiums or enter into contracts on behalf of COSEC, Allianz or BPI Vida e Pensões and, as an insurance intermediary, assumes no responsibility for the coverage of risks inherent in the insurance contract.